Monday, June 26, 2006

WSOP freeroll

Three days in Prague was the ideal preparation for my WSOP freeroll...well, almost.
My plane back from Czech was 90 mins late so I had to listen to the first-half of the England v Ecuador match on the radio.
Caught Beckham's goal, and saw England play poorly but without incident against a very defensive minded team.
They looked tired and lacked drive, but I still think they have a good chance of beating Portugal in the quarter finals.
Anyway, after the game I moved on to my PC and waited for the WSOP freeroll to start.
There were 39 registered for the game with $5,000 WSOP seat for the winner and $500 shared between the final nine.
I qualified after playing 2,500 raked hands in May.
Understandably, play started tightly with small pots and mild swings.
I lost an early hand button v big blind when I called a check-raise on the turn (for 5xbb) with top pair and a flush draw against a foe who had turned a str8.
But I got it back quickly when I held Ks and check raised an 8-hi flop.
Nine non-starters were then withdrawn and we were down to 30.
I hovered around 1500 chips for several hands and the table
There were two aggressive players - Villain and DeuceA1 - who were constantly tangling.
Villain took him down in two hands with 9s v Ako when Villain hit a four flush, and then Aqo v a slightly tilty A7o from Deuce.
The blinds were at level II and I raised early with AJs. All folded and it quickly became a raise/fold game round the table.
I won a nice pot at level III with Qs against Draco Malfoy again, in almost identical fashion - calling his 3xbb pre-flop raise then raising a low flop post flop.
My biggest hand came after 45 mins with Js

Table: 3 (Real Money) Seat #4 is the dealer
Seat 1 - ANECHKA ($3540 in chips)
Seat 2 - __VILLAIN__ ($3200 in chips)
Seat 3 - FIGAROCLEO ($1145 in chips)
Seat 4 - DRACO MALFOY ($1000 in chips)
Seat 5 - NIHILISTI ($1410 in chips)
Seat 6 - QUANTICFIVE ($1860 in chips)
Seat 8 - SHUUSH ($1005 in chips)
Seat 9 - THAT FISH ($3155 in chips)
NIHILISTI - Posts small blind $40
QUANTICFIVE - Posts big blind $80
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to QUANTICFIVE [Jc Js]
ANECHKA - Raises $240 to $240
QUANTICFIVE - Calls $160
*** FLOP *** [6s 9c Jh]
QUANTICFIVE - Checks
ANECHKA - Bets $240
QUANTICFIVE - Raises $480 to $480
ANECHKA - Calls $240
*** TURN *** [6s 9c Jh] [9d]
QUANTICFIVE - Checks
ANECHKA - Checks
*** RIVER *** [6s 9c Jh 9d] [9h]
QUANTICFIVE - Bets $400
ANECHKA - Folds
QUANTICFIVE - returned ($400) : not called
*** SHOW DOWN ***
QUANTICFIVE - Does not show
QUANTICFIVE Collects $1480 from main pot

Should have bet the turn but I was trying to let him catch up.

For the next half hour we were playing six handed and I slowly started to get blinded down until I had about $1600 with the blinds at $150.

The next hand couldn't have worked out better. I found As late against THAT FISH he was the most active player on the table - and had re-raised all in 3xbb pre-flop raises along with a couple of other players a few times.
Sure enough, he put me all in with qks and I doubled up.

The very next hand I found 10s and raised 3xbb again. Villain who had called the bb in 1st position called.
An A-10-9 flop, with 2 clubs was almost perfect. Villain led out $600 and instead of calling I raised all-in.
He was there to be taken and I should've fished him in. He was busted out about three hands later.
I was now 3rd out of about 10.
We played five handed for a while and we were soon onto the final table.
I was about 6th at the start of the final table, with about 4000 and blinds at 200.
I found As again and did the standard 3xbb raise but no=one called.
Eight hands later I got Ks, and won about $2000.
I was getting lucky with the hi pairs.

It got quite frenetic after this with lots of pre-flop bets and raises. I feel I didn't make a mistake until we were down to the last 3.
The chip counts were:

Seat 3 - PHANTOMSHARK ($23710 in chips)
Seat 6 - QUANTICFIVE ($8170 in chips)
Seat 8 - WILDSAMOAN ($13610 in chips)

I did my standard 3xbb with Ajo got re-raised by Phantom Shark, who I believed but instead of folding I shoved and lost to his Aq0.

Its only now that I write this do I realise how close I came to winning.
I had a very tight table image, and was starting to make some plays...I coulda outplayed them with the right cards.
I won $100, which is not to be sniffed at but it coulda been so much more.
Phantom ended up winning the $5,000 after a 30 mins heads up battle and deserved the win.

I then won $30 on an AP points freerol, coming 3rd again.

So long for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow marky, good show. u did get some sweet cards though.

Anonymous said...

Nice play. I found the hand is easier to follow like this:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/2849

You can embed the visual right in your posts so that it's easier to understand.

Anonymous said...

nets serious emerges specializes midlands sideline moderately overburden forecasts nasaacontext global
lolikneri havaqatsu