Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Good, The Bad and The Downright Ugly

I'll start with the ugly because this happened first.
I'm afraid to say my Blackjack demons returned in a big way. My roll at Ultimate Bet was sitting pretty at around $400, having soared from a low of about $20 a couple of months ago.
I was playing tightly and winning money regularly. Then disaster struck and blew it all in 30 minutes.
My initial deposit was $200 and I've managed to win about $75 from rakeback, but it still hurt. This was all last week, and was too embarrassed to write about it.
Suffice it to say that I lost about $50, and then kept trying to win it back with bigger and bigger bets.
Went camping with some colleagues at the weekend, which was a great way to forget about my poker pains.
Returned on Monday and deposited my Absolute bankroll of $300 into Party Poker.
I'd never played there before so it was fun to have hundreds of tables to chose from.
The Bad is that I lost about $50 quickly on the 25c/50c NL tables. I couldn't hit a hand, missed flushes, got trips cracked 2x.
The good is that I quickly released my 20 per cent bonus of around $55 to clear that debt and then won a $6 10-man SNG late last night.
It was limit, which I didn't realise when I enrolled, but I got a handy chip lead when I flopped a set with 4s, and then rivered a fullhouse with JKo to crack As and a flush.
I was late for work this morning as a result of my late night playing, and got a mild ticking off, but I really don't care.
As for work, I'm plodding along, its the start of silly season when everyone's on holiday and not much is happening.
I went for a job interview in London at a magazine yesterday and feel I've got a good shot at getting it.
I have a writing test to do tonite. This month could be the end of my northern dalliance and the end of my regional newspaper career.
We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all the best with the potential job. gonna have to do some job hunting myself here soon. i like your blog, being a fellow gambler. don't worry, your secret is safe with me. maybe i'll start one myself. i'll let you know. cheers, cg