Monday, December 04, 2006

Volatile returns

I played a lot this weekend, and played very poorly.
I have been made homeless after falling out with my flatmate/landlord, so I knew the weekend was to be the last time in at least two weeks when I had a chance to play.
Reaching a four-figure bankroll seems to have affected my play and I'm having trouble pushing on past it.
I have no trouble losing to the better hand all-in, but have too often called off all my buy-in on some very dubious calls.
I'm finding it too easy to just insta-call an all-in re-raise, w/o thinking. Sometimes they're bluffing, or have a marginal hand, but I've managed to lose a couple of $100 buy-ins simply from not thinking through the hand properly.
I've been trying to take advantage of the drunk American by playing early doors on the weekends, with success.
But ran into a drunk, and very lucky, bully to my left who raised every bet I made.
I waited and waited, but was getting nothing, before playing back at him on a turned str8, only to lose to a 4-outer, higher str8, on the river.
My roll is now just shy of $1,000 and will remain there until I find a new place to live.
Over at Stars, I've started turning my dwindling bankroll back up by playing pee-wee sit'n'go's ($3+.40c turbos omaha h/l) and am slowly eeking it back up, but this is more for fun than anything.


I'm staying for the next two weeks at my news editor's flat in Stoke Newington, while she is on holiday in Vietnam.
In the meantime I have two viewings, one in a flat in Hammersmith and the other in a house in Finsbury Park.
I'm hoping either will be suitable, but it looks like it will be an interview situation a la Shallow Grave.
We shall see if my charms work on them!

No comments: