Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas Blues

OK, so I was a little optimistic in my last post.
My NL play is still solid, and I made another $100. Although I did have to move up to the 50c/$1 level to get this.
However my roll has actually taken a bit of a battering.
The reason: I seem to have found a poker version of blackjack in the form of Razz.
With my roll at an all time high of $1,400 I decided to have a stab at heads-up Razz ($2/$4 limit). Won $20 without showing against a clown.
Bolstered by the success I moved to the $8/$16 level (!) and leaked all $160 of my buy-in in about 15 minutes.
Unperturbed by that I then lost another $150 playing $2/$4 limit RAZZ, five-handed.
I couldn't hit a thing. The basic rule of Razz seems to be don't play paint and don't play pairs, but whatever starting hand I had I then paired up or hit a succession of high cards. Also kept losing on the river when ahead.
I was on serious tilt by the time I managed to close the table down.
To cap it all I then donked off $70 on an Omaha H/L PL table and roll was down to a sorry $983. Arse!
I've managed to bump this back up to $1,160 - where I was about a fortnight ago - but it still is mighty galling.

So, just for fun, I've decided on some New Year's Resolution's a la MilkyBarKid

1) Build my roll to $3,500.
Very do-able at my current win rates, anything extra is a bonus.
2) Win a cash MTT with more than 100 entrants.
I'm not a massive MTT player, and have only a loyalty points freeroll (on Absolute) once. I've placed loads, especially back when I started playing in 2004, but it would be nice to get there at least once in 2007.
3) Don't play limit holdem and NO RAZZ.
Pretty obvious really.
4) Learn how to use Pokertracker better
I've got it, and log my results but I need to take the time to read the Pokertracker user guide, written by Iggy.
5)Try to vary my game more
This has to be the one of the keys to success on the cash tables. Although no matter how tight you've played, there always seems to be some chump who's bought in with all his stack and can't help but call to see your nuts!

Can't really think of much else at the mo, though I might add a couple at a later date.

On a personal note, I moved into my new flat today and have plans to see a couple of mates in Manchester for the New Year.
Work is going well and I'm actually quite hopeful of a promotion in the next couple of months. I have a finance exam in Jan which I should pass and am off skiing in two weeks for my first holiday in ages.

Ta-ra

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think with online play, unless you are playing at one table for more then an hour, there really is very little reason to very your play. Just play the most optimal way each hand. trying to trick people who are not paying attention is pointless.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, i forgot,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, i forgot,

HAPPY NEW YEARPPY NEW YEAR