Thursday, October 30, 2008

Career development

My job is in jeopardy and I've only been doing it for six months.
It's not going to happen now, but if I'm here in a year I will be very surprised.
There is no chance another job in this field as no-one is hiring, the City is a depressing place at the moment.

The only thing I can really do is study again - this time for the CFA - a mammoth three-year program, with an exam each June. I've started taking notes for the Level 1 and it is a huge amount of info to learn and digest. It will probably mean an hour a day study, or if you are like me, four hours one day, nothing for two, six another, nothing for...etc etc.

My company is American so they'll pay for it, give me a grand if I pass, and have promised at least another £5k on my salary - so the incentive is there.

This will definitely eat into my poker time but I will definitely keep playing on. I love the game too much to stop.

I'm still in the early throes of eagerness to pass this thing - even tho its nine months away, I've managed only two short hour-long sessions of poker this week. The first saw me drop $40 playing HORSE on Stars. The second saw me break even on two $11 Matrix SNGs. Thrilling stuff!

The Matrix breakeven session should have been a win but my flatmate cmae into my room with me sitting on decent stacks on all four tables. I then had to listen to her moaning about her new on-off boyfriend and stacked off stupidly while only half-concentrating. Should have told her to go, but I want an easy life and pissing off your flatmates is an simple way to make life complicated!

No comments: